In our second installment of the Motionographer Podcast, we chat with Gary Thomas, founder and creative director at Crush in Toronto. Some of the topics we touch on:
- Working in the Australian post-production scene back in the 90s
- The relationship between technology, power and the creative process
- The genesis of Crush in Toronto
- The secrets of good retention
- The Toronto design scene
- The creative process behind some of Crush’s high-profile projects, namely The Gum Thief by Douglas Coupland and two music videos for REM, “Hollow Man” and “Man Sized Wreath”
One of the things I like about Gary (and Crush’s) approach to things is their willingness to take on experimental (and often low-budget) projects as a way of pushing their own boundaries. It not only keeps the creative fires burning, it actually attracts more work.
Incidentally, Crush recently posted a nicely edited new reel, which you can check out on their site.